Sunday, November 2, 2008

Challenge: Keep the furnace off

So how did my "Keep the furnace off until November 1" challenge go? Well, it is now November and I can turn on the furnace if I want, but with temperatures predicted in the 50s and 60s for the next five days, I am keeping it off. However, it was not easy to keep my eye on the cold challenge because there were about four days in a row where there was moderate to no sun and temperatures with highs in the 50s and lows in the upper 20s to low 30s.

While I succeeded in keeping the furnace off, I did use some supplemental heating to help me to get through the colder evenings and mornings. I turned on my oil-filled radiator three mornings in the bedroom and two evenings in the living room. I also added my electric blanket on top of my bed, turning that on before I went to bed to warm it up. I am not sure how this will be reflected in my electric bill, but it is likely a wash between the decrease in my dehumidifiers running and the draw from the electric heaters.

Regardless of this supplemental heating, the coldest morning was 53 degrees Fahrenheit. For five days, I did not get above 60 degrees. I rediscovered the joys of snuggling under my covers, wearing a bath robe and having a blanket across my lap. Sometimes regardless of measures, I was cold, but I held out for November 1 and succeeded. Since the temperature is more reasonable right now (63 degrees), I plan on holding off turning on my furnace for another five or six days. Snow is predicted for the end of the week, but none of the lows will hit freezing. I will give an update when I actually turn on my natural gas furnace.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on the challenge. I don't think we're that cold in Missouri, but we've saved a lot of heat by maximizing the time our blinds are open. Sometimes we overshoot and get too much heat by the afternoon. But when we get it right it gives us a head start on night time heating.

    ReplyDelete