Monday, July 7, 2008

Recipe Monday: Peanut Butter Cookies

While I am not much for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, I do still crave peanut butter. Many times I eat it straight from the jar (one of the joys of being single), but other times, I want something more. Enter peanut butter cookies--yummy, sweet, small and hard to eat just one. I crave sweets as well so making my own cookies helps. It is also cheaper and more satisfying to make your own. This recipe is taken from the family cookbook. Hopefully, I will not be disinherited for sharing.

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix sugars, margarine, peanut butter and egg. Stir in dry ingredients. Shape dough into 3/4-inch ball. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until set but not hard, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly before removing. Makes 3-4 dozen cookies.

I usually line my cookie sheets with parchment paper that I reuse several times. Whether the recipe calls for greased or ungreased sheets, parchment paper does the job. I also invested in a stand mixer ($60 on sale) and it works well for making cookies. While the recipe does not explicitly say it, an electric stand mixer can be used for all the dough mixing.

Of course, I like to test the quality of my cookies by eating them still warm, and drinking milk to wash them down. The cookies are tender, and are a nice sweet treat to add to the lunch you take to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment