Monday, April 7, 2008

Recipe Monday: Crispy Baked Bar-B-Que Chicken

This is one of my favorite baked chicken recipes. My mom made this for family dinner about a year ago, and she told me the recipe was in the family cookbook. Since I enjoyed it so much, I added it to my rotation of dinner recipes to cook.

1/2 cup dry bread crumbs (dried bread pieces can be made into crumbs using a blender)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 chicken, cut up (I use a four-piece package of chicken thighs)
1/4 cup margarine, melted

Combine crumbs, brown sugar, chili powder, garlic and mustard. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brush each piece with margarine. Roll in crumb mixture. Place skin side up; do not let pieces touch. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes. Do not turn pieces.

The chicken comes out crispy with the bread crumb coat and just a bit sweet and spicy with the sugar and seasonings. I tend not to like all the bones leftover from a whole chicken so I use chicken thighs, which have a lot of meat per pound. If you have a preference for a chicken part, I suggest using that in place of a whole chicken. This is a nice meal for a person or two or an entire family as this recipe is quite scalable. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment