Monday, June 23, 2008

Recipe Monday: Turnip Cheese Bake

As I mentioned before, I have signed up for a CSA share and been receiving a box a week since May 21. I have yet to completely use the weekly share, but I keep trying. While the radishes were a failure, I did find a recipe at massrecipes.com that I found useful for my spring turnips. I love cheese so how could I resist? The recipe was easy to make and I was able to use the fresh parsley from my CSA box as well!

1 1/2 pounds turnips, pared and sliced (about 4 cups)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheese
Snipped parsley
Paprika

Cook turnips in boiling salted water until tender, and drain. In a saucepan, melt the butter, and blend in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk and stir until thickened. Reduce heat, and stir in cheese until melted. Combine cheese sauce and turnips. Turn into a 1 quart casserole dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and paprika. Serve hot.

My quantity of turnips did not make 4 cups so I sized the recipe accordingly. I think I made more sauce than necessary but as I like cheese (and was not sure about the turnips), it worked out well. I found the turnips palatable and enjoyed trying something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment