Monday, June 16, 2008

Recipe Monday: Rhubarb Torte

This is a recipe I make every year using the rhubarb from my mom's garden. Even with a rhubarb plant division from my mom in my own garden, it is too young to harvest this year. The recipe is also from the family cookbook and is a treat I look forward to eating (if not making). It is quite yummy and I consume the dessert in a shorter time than I care to admit.

Crust:
2 cups flour
1 cup margarine
2 tablespoon sugar

Mix ingredients and pat into a greased 9" x 13" pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Filling:
6 egg yolks
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup evaporated milk
6 cups rhubarb pieces, chopped
2 teaspoons tapioca (if fruit is frozen)

Mix all ingredients together and pour over crust. Bake 40-45 minutes.

Topping:
6 egg whites, stiffly beaten
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Make a meringue topping and spread over fruit. Bake 10 minutes.

The torte can be stored at room temperature for a day or two before needing to be refrigerated. I think it tastes best at room temperature. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment