Friday, February 6, 2009

February challenge update

I am sure you are all waiting breathlessly for an update on my self-imposed spending challenge. I have to say "so far, so good"! While I have visited the gas station twice this week, hit the grocery stores twice (with a third trip planned tonight--99 cents for ice cream!) and the pharmacy once, there was little frivolous buying. I could argue that candy bars and ice cream are not necessary, but I place them in the food categories even if they are only treats rather than real food.

I have not been skimming craigslist except for the free section and have managed to stay away from the thrift store. I have enough projects at home to keep me busy and hopefully, no emergencies to cause me to spend unexpectedly.

However, I have an appointment with my hair stylist next week, certainly not a necessity, and a birthday lunch with my department the week after. I will need to keep working on my personal spending, but I will be happy with more-than-my-usual excess at the end of the month. One of my personal goals for this challenge is to have at least 50% of the money in my less-necessary categories (e.g., eating out) remaining at the end of the month. I hope I can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment