Monday, August 11, 2008

Recipe Monday: Smoked Gouda Mashed Potatoes

Since I received new red potatoes in my CSA box, I have been obsessed with farmer's market new potatoes. I have tried Yukon Gold, Red Norland, Russet and another potato from my CSA box that was red on the outside with pink-tinted flesh inside. While Yukon Gold is my current favorite, I like them all mashed with (too much) butter. Since I like cheese and had a smoked gouda mashed potato dish once, I thought I might whip something together to tempt my palate.

1 pound new potatoes
1-2 tablespoons margarine or olive oil
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup smoked gouda cheese, grated
1/2 cup milk (I used 1% milk)

Boil washed new potatoes in 1 inch of water and let simmer until soft. Cut into smaller pieces only if necessary. Heat olive oil or margarine over medium heat and add onions to cook. When translucent, add 1/2 cup of milk and heat until just boiling. Turn off heat but leave on hot burner as you add grated gouda. Stir until melted. Start to mash potatoes with 1 tablespoon margarine and add the gouda cheese mixture. Add pepper to taste and serve with or without butter.

I enjoyed the creamy goodness of this blend of potato and cheese. Quantities are not exact since more or less milk will be needed for a creamier mashed potato. You can experiment with other cheeses and see what might tempt your taste buds!

No comments:

Post a Comment