Monday, May 12, 2008

Recipe Monday: Overnight Tuna Casserole

This was another recipe I tried from the school fundraiser cookbook. The overnight part appealed to me so I thought "why not?" It works out quite nicely and with a few modifications, I tailored it to my palate. Plus, I am a big fan of casseroles--throwing things together and baking it to hot, bubbly goodness. This can be put together the night before or the morning of for dinner that evening, making it convenient for families or individuals on the go. The leftovers microwave quite nicely for lunch the next day.

1 2/3 cup (7 oz) uncooked elbow macaroni
2-6 1/8 ounce cans flaked tuna, drained
1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 eggs, hard-cooked and chopped
1 tablespoon pimiento
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Grease a 3-quart casserole dish. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Spoon into casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Allow casserole to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit uncovered for 60-70 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Makes 7 1-cup servings.

My modifications:
1. I do not like pimiento so I do not add this ingredient.
2. I do not like green peppers so I added 1 cup of chopped onions, which I do love.
3. This is a great place to use reconstituted dry milk rather than from a purchased gallon or half gallon of milk.
4. I use the hard-boiled egg whites but leave out the yolk as I am not a fan of cooked eggs except for scrambled.

I have made this recipe for various people who have all enjoyed the meal. Casseroles (or hot dish in other parts of the US) are a great means to get food on the table in front of demanding family members. I hope you like this one too!

No comments:

Post a Comment