Monday, March 10, 2008

Monday Recipe: "Fried" Fish Fillets

This recipe is quite yummy with or without tartar sauce (recipe not included). I do like a bit of sauce with the fish but limited the amount to less than a teaspoon per serving. Since I am trying to watch the amount of fat in my diet, tartar sauce, my love, will be sidelined in favor of other condiments. This recipe is brought to you from the cookbook Cooking for Good Health by Gloria Rose (page 184).

4 4oz fresh fish fillets (I substituted frozen cod)
3/4 cup dried bread crumbs or matzo meal (I used the former)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley (I used dried)
1 teaspoon paprika
2 egg whites, lightly beaten

1. Rinse fish and pat dry.
2. Blend bread crumbs with cheese, parsley and paprika in a flat dish.
3. Dip fillets into beaten egg whites then bread crumb mixture.
4. Place in a single layer on wax paper and place in freezer for 1 hour.
5. Spray large skillet with no-stick cooking spray (I lightly sprayed vegetable oil). Place skillet over medium-high heat (I moderated to medium heat; use your judgement). Add fillets. Cook, carefully turning once until coating is brown and fish turn from translucent to opaque.

Makes 4 servings.

I liked the flavor of the coating. Between the Parmesan and the paprika, it was a nice accent to the cod I used. I did find I had cook the cod fillets a bit longer in the microwave to get the fish completely cooked. The slightly burnt flavor of the coating was a nice flavoring as well. My sister had some was well and enjoyed it so I thought I would share this recipe since at least one other person vouched for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment